Friday, January 25, 2013

How Do Ya' Like Me Now?


It's not like I'm 15, or even 27. My vanity level has certainly waned in recent years. I've got varicose veins that mimic the great waterways of the United States, and a neck that is so crepe-like...it looks like thrice-used tissue paper.  Seriously, I care...but, there isn't enough anti-aging serum in the world.

This all started with needing new pictures.  Of me. I don't mind a ridiculous pic like the one you see posted here, but I do mind having one taken for real.  So, the picture I've been using for all of my "writing & speaking stuff" - taken several years ago when I had only a few, small rivers represented on one leg, and no tissue-neck whatsoever - really needed to be replaced.  False advertising, indeed.

I have a friend who met me last Saturday and we snapped some new ones.  She's really good and I wore a lot of black.  And kept my coat on.  And wasn't broken out.  (I tend to break out when I'm teaching middle school as my way of empathizing with the pubescent students and their acne issues.  I know, I really go the extra mile.)

It's not even been a week since the big photo-shoot, and I'm completely broken out.  My hair has grown half an inch, and the new growth is the ugliest shade of dull silver you have ever seen.  Not that you're ever going to see the "map" in pictures, but the Mississippi River represented on my left thigh is bulging and quite uncomfortable.

So, when a dear friend saw one of my new, fancy, professionally done pictures on Facebook Saturday night, she texted me.  I was washing my face when I got this very flattering message about the picture and my looks and how she was so glad to be my friend.

It took exactly five seconds to take the "glasses" picture, send it and ask her the question that is now the title of this post.  She fired back that she feared my phone had been hijacked. 

I know she was laughing on the West Coast and I was laughing here in rural Kansas. I also know she probably now loves me more than ever.

We often think of appearances as something our young people have angst over.  Grown-up, mature, educated, well-adjusted women - and men - don't worry about such trivial things. Right.

I'm not saying don't take care of yourself.  The hubby and I have both dropped some major poundage in the past several months, and it feels really good. I also am trying to sleep more.  Man, did I underestimate the power of the Z's for many, many years.

I'm not saying walk around looking and smelling like you slept in a kennel all night.  We need to be good stewards of what God's given and we need to try to put our best foot forward.

But, there is a wonderful nugget from the Bible reminding us that charm is deceitful, beauty is vain...but, when you serve the Lord...you're golden. (My paraphrase...and I'm in the middle of reading "The Outsiders" with 7th graders, so you know...trying to prove "gold" can stay, Ponyboy!)

I know God always loves me...no matter what.  I know my friends and family do, too.  Whether the world deems me physically attractive, or not.

I not only walk through life with the above assurances, but with something I've learned the hard way (I won't take time to expound on the now, well-known waxing story).

I'm most lovely when I'm serving the Lord.

I pray for you.  I really, really do.  Serve with all of your soul.  Love with all of your heart. Put God above all else in your life.

Stay gold, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment