Monday, July 29, 2013

Life is Like a Layover

I've been traveling some this summer and when I'm home...like now...it's just pure, chaotic, catch-up.  But, before I throw another load of clothes in, run to Wal-Mart, and stop by the dry cleaner...I just have a brief thought to share.

Layover. That's the thought.

Seriously, maybe that will be a future book title for me:  "Life is Like a Layover."  It so is.

I looked around the airport the other day and was struck by the fact that so much of life was represented in one place.

People elated and snapping pictures as a loved one walked off the plane.  People with teary eyes, wandering like zombies toward a gate that would lead to a ramp that would lead to a plane that would lead to a funeral.

Life is a layover. Thank God. It is temporary. The tears, the trials, the triumphs. Gone in a flash.

Be mindful of those around you in the "airport."  Humanity...happy, hurting, hopeful, hopeless. We should share the joys and the tears. Come alongside one another, no matter what the circumstances. Offer to carry that extra heavy suitcase.

I Corinthians 5:1-6:  "5 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord."
  
Okay, maybe camping would have been a better analogy here, with the mention of tents and all. But, I think we all get it...we are in our temporary home. We are not in our true home, yet. We're experiencing a layover.
 
It's easy to walk through life's airports, thinking only of ourselves. We're in a hurry to catch the next "flight," escape a crisis, embrace a thrill, take a vacation. While we're running from concourse to concourse, we have to remember that it's all temporary...and the only thing we get to take on the final trip home is those around us.  

Look around the gate you're at today...who can you rejoice with? Who can you cry with? Who needs some help with their life's luggage? As long as you've got breath...you're experiencing a layover. May we all take out the headphones, get off the laptop, get out of the coffee line...and look around us.  

www.diaryofacavewoman.com

6 comments:

  1. Another homerun, KyAnne! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is good to somehow speak to and through a flawed follower, such as myself. :) Praying blessings for you and yours today!

      Delete
  2. KyAnne, I love your insights and the richness of the prespective you have. Because I know you personally, I know the reality of your relationship with Father and the depth of your heart for His people. I definitely anticipate each new posting you share with us and am praying for God to continue to richly bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faith! That means a lot, coming from such a godly example in my life! Love you!

      Delete
  3. Just read this today and really needed the reminder. This last year I have been a witness to some devastating and tragic situations that involved my girl's friends. Some days I wonder how people live with the grief. I'm so glad that the Lord is not surprised by these situations and that we have a real home to look forward to. So thankful that we have hope.

    Ronda Ladd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read this and LOVED it Kyanne!!
    I love the thought that in a layover we are only seeing one little slice of a persons life, - we don't necessarily know where they've been or where they are headed... but our lives intersect for a time and that can be wonderful (just a reminder to me that a glance will never tell me someone's story)
    I know I have been really blessed with people God has sent to help me carry 'really big suitcases' figuratively and literally... anyway, I loved this one!

    ReplyDelete